Skip to main content

Oops I did it again

Oops!

I advocated for myself again.

After getting the results from my latest CBC (Complete Blood Count), my doctor put me on daily Vitamin D-3 to increase levels but did not recommend iron supplementation for (what I consider) borderline anemia.

I was glad to hear low Vitamin D might be adding to increased fatigue but I still wondered... I have a history of low Ferritin levels, despite sufficient RBC/hemoglobin counts.

So... I made an appointment with an independent lab and had them check my iron levels.

Results? My Ferritin level is at 51, well within the 'normal' range of 100-232. Still, I wondered... So I did further research.

My low Ferritin level was originally discovered when I was diagnosed with Restless Leg Syndrome (but I may actually have Periodic Limb Movement Disorder). So I looked up literature regarding recommended Ferritin levels given RLS/PLMD.

Huh. Treatment recommendations are that Ferritin be no lower than 75 for people with RLS/PLMD.

Bingo!

So now I get to go to my doctor today and admit that I did an end run. Granted I had asked for the Ferritin test up front but was denied. And I haven't attempted to self-medicate since I got my results back two weeks ago.

Could I have just waited until today's appointment to make the case for testing? Yes. But having the test results in my back pocket gives me more information to work with - and perhaps a bit more confidence in my request.

My plan is to bring up the borderline anemia results to discuss. And then I'll own up to what I did. And we'll go from there.

Always remember that you are your own best advocate. You live with your body and your symptoms 24x7. Be aware of your symptoms. Be aware of your history. Information is power.

Comments