Skip to main content

Prep is the key to success

Sat Mar 30 2018 - And the clock is ticking!

I was never a scout - but my dad was a scout leader for a while - so that must be where I get my pull (possible neuroses) to always be prepared. So today was a whirlwind (yes, I exaggerate) of activity to get ready for Medication Monday.

While Tolvaptan can slow down cyst growth in kidneys, there are two big side effects - possible (temporary) liver damage and loss of body fluids (yes, you pee a lot). The liver function is very closely monitored through bi-weekly liver tests that eventually turn into monthly tests and so on. If they find issues, the drug is discontinued, liver function returns to normal and then you either try a lower dose or stop taking it altogether.

My prep was not for that side effect.

My prep was for what will become my Two Gallon Habit.


That's right. Water is soon to become my best friend as well as my worst nightmare.

My first stop was Target. With all the time I'll be spending in the bathroom, I figured it was time to invest in some Aloe & Vitamin E infused toilet paper. Thank you Cottonelle! (I may have gone a bit overboard on my purchase but I think there was a $5 Gift Card riding on volume).

Next I went for water bottles. I need to be able to carry water with me wherever I go. And I tend to be forgetful, leaving them in the car, at work, at home, in the camper, at friends', etc. Is there such a thing as too many?

Always be prepared, right?

So, of all places, I went to Walgreen's. A month or so ago (when I didn't have to have all water, all the time) I discovered I was at work with nothing to hold water. So I skipped on over to the local Walgreen's and they had the Contigo Auto Seal (aka the Cortland) on sale Buy One - Get the Second at Half Price. [Note: if you do a search on location, they'll tell you no stores have stock. Trust me. Go to your local Walgreen's and look. They'll have them.]

Best... Water... Bottle... EVER!

Don't know if you've ever gotten stuck buying the version that has the straw in it. I've practically passed out trying to use that version. And the sounds I made while trying to use it? Rude. So very rude. Trust me. Stick with the Auto Seal.

They automatically seal so if (and when) they tip over there's no spillage. No soggy carpet. No destroyed phone or computer. To quote Martha Stewart, it's a good thing. I ended up getting other Contigo versions (none with the straws though) so here's my collection... so far.

When I was looking up the link for the Cortland, I discovered they have an insulated version called the Auto Seal Chill - ALSO on sale Buy One get One Half Off. I may be making a trip to Walgreen's this afternoon to add to my collection...

Rounding out my Pre-Water tour was a trip to the nearest Menard's. Do they have them where you're at? Wisconsin-based rival to Home Depot and Lowes - more down home if you know what I mean. No frills. Solid value.

Would you believe they sell drinking water? They do. And it's pretty good stuff. So I bought four 5 gallon jugs. I purchased an at-home water cooler last summer (ice cold water goes down so much easier plus I live in a rural area and am on well water) and the price of Menard's water is more reasonable than buying from a distributor such as Primo (the manufacturer of my water cooler). So here are my little water soldiers, all lined up and ready to be put into service (excuse the missing jug - girl was thirsty).

A day and a half to go before meds arrive and I'm feeling good to go.


Comments