Skip to main content

Words to live by

I never knew - couldn't even fathom - how tough it is to live with a chronic disease. Sure I've been hypothyroid for YEARS but it never really felt serious. I take a little pill once a day. There are no side effects. I get my energy back. Good and good.

Polycystic Kidney Disease is nothing like that.

There is no cure - save transplant. But even then you take anti-rejection drugs for life. If you forget your meds, you risk transplant rejection. How's that for adding a little anxiety to your anxiety?

There is a single drug that SLOWS DOWN the disease's progression, but that promise of dialysis and/or transplant is always right over the horizon. The side effects of that drug are constant thirst and the knowledge of every public rest room within a hundred miles.

And while you wait for the disease to progress, you get to experience soul draining fatigue, anxiety, physical discomfort as your kidneys expand to fill your abdominal cavity, the look of a pregnant belly (at 51?), high blood pressure and other comorbidities.

Deep breath.

That's why mantras such as this one are important reminders to keep around.

Things will change. I'm strong and I've overcome challenges before. Every day offers the possibility of learning and growth. There may be a bigger plan out there for me that I just can't picture. I deserve to enjoy my life but when I'm not at my best I refuse to chastise myself. I don't have time for your drama because I'M TOO BUSY BEING THANKFUL for all the good in my life.

Comments