Skip to main content

Teach us to fish

I've recently started trying to educate myself on current research and insights around PKD and all the diseases that seem to show up along with it. 

While it's exciting to learn that we're on the verge of significant innovation in how CKD and PKD are diagnosed and treated, I find myself a bit disappointed.

Instead of shouting the news from the roof tops... instead of spreading the excitement, the medical community hides the punchline. They share their findings in dry journal articles, steeped in language that is hard to understand.

I realize the audience for the articles is not Joe or Jane Public. I realize that they're scholarly discussions of research methodology, statistics, inference and conclusion. I also realize that this is potentially a single data point that may, or may not, contradict current beliefs.

Regardless, wouldn't it be nice if these studies included a simply worded summary of the work? Something easily consumable by the general public?

In a recent position paper published by the Kidney Health Initiative, one of their deliverables is actually describe as a 'Patient Friendly One Pager.' 

KUDOS!

Maybe it's a sign of things to come? I sure hope so.

Comments