Skip to main content

A happy liver

I'm two weeks into my Tolvaptan adventure and I'm happy to report that liver tested with no change to the pre-medication levels. A shout out to my liver. Way to go!

One of the potential side effects of the medication is liver damage (which has been proven to be reversible as long as it's caught early). Discontinuation of the drug causes the reversal.

Fortunately, the reported incidence of liver damage is relatively low at only 4-5%.

More recently, in large registration trials of long term therapy in patients with ADPKD, serum aminotransferase elevations occurred in 4% to 5% of patients on tolvaptan, compared to only 1% of controls.  Furthermore, clinically apparent liver injury occurred in approximately 0.1% of treated patients.  The time to onset of illness ranged from 3 to 7 months (Case 1), but occasionally arose during long term therapy (Case 2: after 3 years of intermittent use). National Institute of Health

Crossing my fingers that we'll be able to increase my dosage from 45/15 to 60/30. Til later.

Comments